Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I'm STILL Alive!!!

So, this is bad!  I haven't blogged in over a month.  I figured after the third email from my sister, Kristie, reminding me that I haven't updated this thing... maybe it's time to write a new post!  I still haven't written about my trip home (May 30 - June 7, 2010)! So, let me just start with that, and then maybe - just maybe - I can catch up on all the rest! Just a warning, this is going to be a mega entry!

Side note: Dave and I have been married for 7 months (and a day) already!  It's going by so fast.  We're past the half-way mark!  And we're not speaking of divorce yet!  Maybe I shouldn't tempt him... (Seriously, we're great.  No major problems, with the help of God, of course.)

Hmmm.  Let's see what I can remember.  Well, it was so awesome to be back in Hawai'i nei, where the sun is shining and it's actually hot.  Where there's a breeze and I don't freeze my butt off.  Where I can go to the beach and enjoy it.  Where I can have lilikoi shave ice with li hing mui sauce (sauce, not syrup!), mochi balls and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  Don't judge me.  I only ate it once while I was there.  I just baked some snickerdoodle cookies lastnight and I must've eaten like six already.  I had to make sure they were good!  Aww man, I'm not even pregnant.  What's my excuse? 

Back to Hawai'i.  I didn't realize how much I missed everyone and O'ahu.  I didn't miss the Honolulu traffic, though.  I was just visiting for a week, primarily to attend my "grandma" Anna's funeral.  She looked so peaceful, and her memorial was just beautiful.  I'm glad I got to see her before I left for the mainland.  She was such a beautiful lady, and perhaps one day, if God blesses us with a little girl, I'd like to incorporate her into our little one's name.  Our family's loss allowed me to go back home after 5 months.  I'm hoping it won't take another unfortunate event to get me back on an expensive plane ride to the mother land. 

My family is crazy.  And I'm just talking about my immediate family.  I loved seeing the kids again.  My "hello" to them was so funny.  My mom picked me up during the evening church service on Sunday (the airport is 5 minutes away) and I waited for them to come home after church.  I hid behind a wall and jumped out and scared the kids as they came running in the house.  It was hilarious.  I think my oldest nephew (the nearest victim) might've even cried and was a little sour faced at me for a little bit.  Then he quickly came around.  I got reacquainted with my one-year-old nephew and soon enough, I think he liked me again.  I missed him so much.  I think I might've missed him more (sorry!  Please don't take offense, mommies!) just because I knew that there was a big possibility he wouldn't remember me.  Besides, I so clearly want my own (but more than willing to wait!), and he's the closest one to a baby baby, so... it just makes sense in my head... Anyway.  We went to McDonald's for a light snack with my Grandma Han and Uncle Mark, which the kids approved of.


Leialoha's (5 yrs old) happy to be eating french fries.


Lol, Leimomi's (almost 7 yrs old) happy to take a picture. :-)


Mokihana (7 yrs old) is happy to be a trouble maker. :-)


And Isaac (1 yr old) is enjoying his food.

Aren't "my" babies cute?!  I feel so blessed to have been able to hang out with my sisters and my parents, of course.  And then seeing my whole family was wonderful.  I felt a little more out of the loop than normal just because I haven't been around.  But it was so nice to talk and laugh and even play some friendly games of volleyball in my uncle's back yard.  Boys against girls, of course.  I especially loved it when my aunty screamed everytime the ball came to her.  So then the rest of us would just make fun of her by doing the same thing.  It was fun.  I think Dave would've enjoyed his time if he was able to accompany me.  Too bad.  Hmmm... we also met a lady friend of my Uncle Mark (I mentioned him in an earlier post when we met him in Long Beach with his sister-from-another-mister).  She's really nice and funny and I thought she got along great with our family.  But, we'll see. 

I took Mokihana (7 yr old nephew) on a surprise beach outing.  I wanted some sun and warm water and I thought I'd help my parents a little with "babysitting".  He's so funny in the water.  He thinks he's invincible.  And of course, I play along.  He looks so grown up in these pics.

I told him that if he was good, we could get shave ice.  He seemed to like that idea and I was really banking on him behaving well because I really wanted it!

So we went to Waiola Shave Ice right off of Kapahulu.  I wanted to go to the original one by McCully, but I couldn't find it.  I've only been there with Minna and she was always driving and I guess I just never paid much attention, haha.  Typical Billie.

Mmmmmmm!  Rainbow shave ice!  But mine is better! Mochi balls and ice cream are hidden inside. 

Ok, that's enough.  My mouth is watering...
I was also blessed with seeing some special people like my BBG big sis, Brenda and her little cutie, Ezekiel.  We went to a really cute cafe in Market City for breakfast.  I think it's Cafe Kaila?  I'm not sure, but I know where it is, and I've already decided to return whenever I make it back home! I had three really big slices of sweet bread french toast topped with fresh strawberries.  Of course, I didn't finish it, so I had it for a snack the next day and it was still amazingly delish!  I don't really like myself in these pics, but I need to post it for my own memory's sake.  And besides, Bren and her baby boy are such beautiful human beings!  Thanks Brenda for posting these on Facebook!

 

After I met with the mother-son duo, I got a chance to stop in and visit my most recent supervisors at UH.  It was so great to see them and catch up and see how they changed the layout of the office!  I like how we were joking about one of them getting pregnant, and then I find out when I got back to my California home that she was already 3 months pregnant!  She just hadn't told anyone yet, so she didn't want to say anything to me about it.  She's so cute.  She'll be a great mommy.  She made her husband wait for a keiki for 5 years, and now they're expecting a little girl.  I'm so excited for her. 

Then, I went to meet my sister, Brandie, for lunch at Restaurant Row, across from her work place.  We ate some Chinese food (much better than here in Lompoc, CA) and talked and laughed.  It was nice to catch up more.  And weird at the same time.  Haha, only because I was concerned about running into some agents I used to work with.  It would've been really awkward since I didn't have time to drop in the office.  I used to work in the same building as my sister... before working at UH.  Oh!  And then we had dessert!  Red velvet cupcakes from Hokulani!  Ooooooh my goodness!  They are to die for!  Well, I had to save mine for later because I was so stuffed. 

Then, I think I met up with Miss Maegan on the same day.  Yes, I believe I did.  We met at Menchie's, a tasty frozen yogurt place in Ward.  I was so good!  I was so excited to see her and it was great just talking and hanging out with someone I've been friends with since middle school.  So many memories.  In general, it was nice to relax with family and friends that I've known for years.  It takes so much energy to hang out with newer friends and become acquainted.  I'm always worrying about how I say things or how I look when I say something or... what have you.  Basically, I didn't have to go through the trouble of introducing myself and my entire life.  So it was just nice for a change.  Don't get me wrong - I like meeting new people.  It just gets exhausting when it's non-stop.  I can't wait to settle down in Montana for about 4 years.

I can't remember which day it was, but I hung out with Kristie, Leimomi and Isaac at Jamba Juice and chatted it up while playing with the kids.  It was nice to relax and talk.  Oh, now I think it was Friday that we got together.  And it was nice to be with the kids away from everyone else too.  I remember feeling bad because I was just so tired that day.  But I wouldn't have traded sleep for hanging out with them.  Although, a nap does sound good right now...

I did a lot of hanging out with my parents, especially since I was staying with them.  We went out a few times for coffee or to just eat or walk around somewhere.  I kept putting off packing up my room until the last few days.  It was so weird.  When I left this time around with my suit cases all filled to the max, it kind of made it more "final" that I'm not living there anymore.  My mom was a little sad, but now they can have their own space and be just the two of them again.  My dad's hilarious and I enjoyed just spending simple time with him.  And my mom was funny too.  It felt a little different... probably because they most likely look at me more as a grown up now.  But I know I'll always be their little girl... so corny.

On Sunday, the afternoon before I left, I decided to follow through with my haircut.  I went to the Black Cat Salon in Kailua, where they were doing a promo, giving 5% off for each inch of hair being chopped off, which would be donated to Matter of Trust, which makes hair booms that absorb oil.  They're supposed to be used to help - even a little - the oil spill in the Gulf.  That's the only way I was going to cut a lot of hair off... if it was being donated for some good cause I supported.  Locks of Love will have to wait for another year. :-)  So I ended up getting 8 inches cut off.  10 inches (for LoL) would've been too short for me anyway.  And I love it!  My hair is much lighter and I can stretch out my shampoo and conditioner more, and I'll even straighten it every now and then.  Ok, I only did it twice.  But the point is, it's much easier to straighten it now, especially since my coordination level is about zero to none. 

You might not be able to tell it's that short, but here's a not-so-before before picture.

 
Yes, I realize it's not a very flattering picture, but it gets my point across.  This is from my mom's camera during their visit to California and I believe this is before we left to get my stitches out before having fun at Universal Studios.

Ok, I think this about wraps it up!  Finally!  And now Kristie can stop reminding me that I need to blog!  For now, at least... :-p

No comments:

Post a Comment